Re: Improving N-Distinct estimation by ANALYZE

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Improving N-Distinct estimation by ANALYZE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> In general, estimating n-distinct from a sample is just plain a hard
> problem, and it's probably foolish to suppose we'll ever be able to
> do it robustly.  What we need is to minimize the impact when we get
> it wrong.

Well, I think it's pretty well proven that to be accurate at all you need
to be able to sample at least 5%, even if some users choose to sample
less.   Also I don't think anyone on this list disputes that the current
algorithm is very inaccurate for large tables.  Or do they?

While I don't think that we can estimate N-distinct completely accurately,
I do think that we can get within +/- 5x for 80-90% of all cases, instead
of 40-50% of cases like now.  We can't be perfectly accurate, but we can
be *more* accurate.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus