Re: where is the output

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: where is the output
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 02:19:09PM +0100, ohp@pyrenet.fr wrote:
> But I'd still like to know in that case (the same goes for C I guess)
> where stdout is.
> Why isn't it connected by default to the input of whatever connected by
> dbconnect?

From the COPY documentation:
   When STDIN or STDOUT is specified, data is transmitted via the   connection between the client and the server.

I think the names STDIN and STDOUT are causing the confusion: they're
just the server's names for the client/server connection and don't
have anything to do with the client's stdin and stdout.  The client
writes data to and reads data from the connection using the API
functions for doing so; where the client gets or puts that data is
up to the application.

--
Michael Fuhr