Re: Automatic function replanning

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Automatic function replanning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Lukas Smith wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
> > Now, if both of these are done using a prepared statement, it's going to
> > look like:
> >
> > SELECT * FROM queue WHERE status='?';
> >
> > If the first one to run is the queue processing one, the planner will
> > probably choose the index. This means that when we're searching on 'N',
> > there will be a fairly small number of tuples read to execute the query,
> > but when searching for 'D' a very large number of tuples will be read.
>
> I do not know how exactly how pg handles this internally, however while
> skimming the oracle tuning pocket guide I picked up for 2 euros I
> noticed that it mentioned that since oracle 9i bound parameter values
> are evaluated before the execution plan is determined.
>
> Maybe I am mixing up separate concepts (are bound variables and prepared
> statements different concepts?) here. I also do not really understand if
> that means that oracle does not store a query plan for a prepared query
> or if it just does some special handling in case it knows that a
> prepared statement column is known to have a highly varying selectivity
> per value.

What the Oralce manual means I think is that the plan of the query is
delayed until the _first_ EXECUTE, so it has some values to use in the
optimizer.  The problem is that later queries might use constants of
greatly different cardinality.

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: Automatic function replanning
Сообщение: Re: Automatic function replanning