Re: problem with nasty latin2 sorting

От Volkan YAZICI
Тема Re: problem with nasty latin2 sorting
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Dec 21 11:01, Anna Domachowska wrote:
> I've got a problem with sorting polish words in postgresql 7.4.2
>
> For example, I've got couple of polish cities in my table 'x',
> results of sorting are:
> (select city from x order by city asc)
>
> Bydgoszcz
> Gda?sk
> I?awa
> ?ód?
> ?arnów
> Malbork
> Warszawa
>
> So "?arnów" is placed in wrong place, because it should be found
> after letter "Z" ??
>
> What's wrong? Is there any patch to fix this? Does anybody had
> similar problem?
> I belive that postgres was compiled with "--enable-locale", and the
> right locale is set.

Beside previous suggestions, I'm curious about your libc version too.
PostgreSQL relies on system locale while making character related
processes - like case conversion, collation and etc. Does below
command set succeed in sorting above data:

  $ export LC_COLLATE=<related_locale>
  $ cat >/tmp/test.out <<EOF
  > Bydgoszcz
  > Gda...
  > EOF
  $ sort /tmp/test.out

If above command set doesn't succeed, this means your problem is with
libc. Otherwise, as mentioned in the previous posts, please check your
database encoding.

Regards.

--
"We are the middle children of history, raised by television to believe
that someday we'll be millionaires and movie stars and rock stars, but