Re: Overriding the optimizer

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Overriding the optimizer
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 03:31:03PM +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> After years of using several other database products (some supporting
> hint type constructs and some not), I have come to believe that hinting
> (or similar) actually *hinders* the development of a great optimizer.

I don't think you can assume that would hold true for an open-source
database. Unlike a commercial database, it's trivially easy to notify
developers about a bad query plan. With a commercial database you'd have
to open a support ticket and hope they actually use that info to improve
the planner. Here you need just send an email to this list and the
developers will at least see it, and will usually try and fix the issue.