Re: 7.3 failure on platypus

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: 7.3 failure on platypus
Дата
Re: 7.3 failure on platypus  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: 7.3 failure on platypus  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 15 December 2005 12:02, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 12:50:44AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz> writes:
> > > I don't know if this is yet another one, but happened to rebuild 7.3.12
> > > on a FreeBSD 6.0 box today and I notice that it fails float8 regression
> > > test (geometry does too but that is marked as ignorable).
> >
> > 7.3 is too old to know that freebsd beyond 4.x doesn't suffer from the
> > float8-small-is-zero syndrome.
> >
> > This is only a one-line change in resultmap, so I patched it (please
> > check that it works now!).  In general, though, this is just another
> > data point in support of my previous opinion that trying to keep old
> > branches up-to-date with platforms that are moving targets isn't a very
> > sane goal.  Why would someone be using an old database on a current
> > kernel?
>
> Well, you could make the argument that switching OSes is a lot less
> involved than switching PostgreSQL versions, especially since a
> dump/reload isn't required...

How exactly do you switch the OS your database is running on without a
dump/reload?

The one thing I am wondering is would people accept older OS's into the
buildfarm?  I think there are still a lot of servers running red hat 7.3,
that might be an example of an old OS that we could put into the buildfarm to
test for the 7.3.x or 7.4.x series.

--
Robert Treat