Re: Different length lines in COPY CSV

От Mike G.
Тема Re: Different length lines in COPY CSV
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I too have to deal with this issue daily since I deal with Windows daily.  It sounds like the source of the csv files
wereoriginally Excel files. I have never been able to figure out how Excel determines to quit putting null values in
emptycolumns after X rows and resume again later on.

If the file has less than 65000 rows I would suggest using OpenOffice 2.0 instead of Excel.  OpenOffice does not stop
fillingthe empty columns and with 2.0 it now supports the same maximum number of rows that Excel does.

I use Perl constantly to "reformat" files and import them as a csv using the COPY command.  I think the original poster
wouldprefer a php solution though...

While it is not a problem for me I do have other less technical users who don't know perl and this makes postgres much
moredifficult for them to use.  Most of them come from a M$ Access background which can handle importing of Excel files
directlythus don't have to deal with this issue.

A file conversion utility would be very helpful for supporting Postgres with Windows especially if it could handle
Excelfiles in their native format.

Mike