Re: psql patch: new host/port

От David Fetter
Тема Re: psql patch: new host/port
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:19:00AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com> writes:
> > On Dec 9, 2005, at 18:10 , David Fetter wrote:
> >> Please find enclosed a patch that lets you use \c to connect
> >> (optionally) to a new host and port without exiting psql.
>
> > I'm not familiar enough with the psql code to be able to tell, but
> > is  this secure? The pg_hba.conf on the new server is enforced, I
> > assume?
>
> No, security is the server's problem.
>
> What's not clear to me about this patch is what's the point.  It's
> certainly not a feature we've heard any requests for.

Informally, I've heard some carping about how you can change DBs on
one server, but you have to exit the program if you want to change
servers.  The change is low-impact because \c continues to work
exactly as before when supplied with < 3 arguments :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!