Re: Foreign key trigger timing bug?

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Foreign key trigger timing bug?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 12/9/2005 8:27 PM, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> >> It doesn't lead to a violated constraint. bar references foo on delete
> >> cascade, now delete from foo will first delete from bar, then the before
> >> trigger on foo skips the delete.
> >
> > That's not the right case I think.
> >
> > Pseudo example:
> >
> > create table a
> > create table b references a on delete cascade
> > create before trigger on b that sometimes skips a delete to b
> > insert into a and b.
> > delete from a
> >
> > -- AFAICS, you can end up with a row in b that no longer has its
> > associated row in a since the a row will be deleted but there's no
> > guarantee its referencing rows in b will have successfully been deleted.
>
> Yes, you can deliberately break referential integrity with that. But you
> know what? I think the overall waste of performance and developer time,
> required to "fix" this rather exotic (and idiotic) problem, is too high
> to seriously consider it.

Well, the case that brought up the original question was one where the
before trigger updated rows that were going to be affected by the cascaded
delete.  Before this worked by accident, now it gives an error (even
though the key wasn't changed due to some other possibilities of violation
forcing the check).  The problem is that if we're not consistent about
what violation cases are acceptable, it's hard to diagnose if something is
an actual bug or merely an acceptable side effect. :)