Re: Warm-cache prefetching

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Warm-cache prefetching
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> It (the compute intensity optimization) is what we did for copy parsing,
> and it sped up by a factor of 100+.
>
> The rest of the copy path could use some work too.
>
> Yge virtual tuples in 8.1 are another example of grouping operations
> into more compact chunks instead of doing bits at a time.
>
> The l2 cache optimization could pay huge dividends for certain parts
> of the code path, like sorting for instance.  A simple outer loop that
> strip mines in l2 sized chunks in sorting could speed things up 5 to
> 10 times in that section.

Yes, I can see COPY and sort being good for optimization because we
spend a large percentage of the command in a small section of the code.
I just don't know what other things have a similar localized operating
area.

-- Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
Pennsylvania19073