Re: Warm-cache prefetching

От Kenneth Marshall
Тема Re: Warm-cache prefetching
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The main benefit of pre-fetching optimization is to allow just-
in-time data delivery to the processor. There are numerous papers
illustrating the dramatic increase in data throughput by using
datastructures designed to take advantage of prefetching. Factors
of 3-7 can be realized and this can greatly increase database
performance. The first step needed to take advantage of the ability
of pre-fetching to reduce memory latency is to design the index
page layout with an internal blocking of the cache-line size.
Then issue pre-fetch instructions for the memory you are going
to need to process the index page far enough in advance to allow
it to be in a cache-line by the time it is needed.

Ken

http://apps.intel.com/scripts-util/download.asp?url=/design/PentiumII/manuals/24512701.pdf&title=Intel%AE+Architecture+Optimization+Reference+Manual&fullpg=3&site=Developer