Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Greg Stark wrote:

> I also fear that heading in that direction could push Postgres even further
> from the niche of software that works fine even on low end hardware into the
> realm of software that only works on high end hardware. It's already suffering
> a bit from that.

What's high end hardware for you?  I do development on a Celeron 533
machine with 448 MB of RAM and I find it to work well (for a "slow"
value of "well", certainly.)  If you're talking about embedded hardware,
that's another matter entirely and I don't think we really support the
idea of running Postgres on one of those things.

There's certainly true in that the memory requirements have increased a
bit, but I don't think it really qualifies as "high end" even on 8.1.

--
Alvaro Herrera                           Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org
Jude: I wish humans laid eggs

Сообщение: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Сообщение: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (