Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

От Steinar H. Gunderson
Тема Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 09:22:41AM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> I don't think that's true. If the syscall was preemptable then it wouldn't
> show up under "iowait", but rather "idle". The time spent in iowait is time in
> uninterruptable sleeps where no other process can be scheduled.

You are confusing userspace with kernel space. When a process is stuck in
uninterruptable sleep, it means _that process_ can't be interrupted (say,
by a signal). The kernel can preempt it without problems.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Сообщение: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Сообщение: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (