Re: forcing returned values to be binary

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: forcing returned values to be binary
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 13:01:20 -0500, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
> I've talked to Ken Geis via email. He suggests that there is
> considerable overhead to be saved if we go to binary; especially in
> date, and timestamp fields
>
> One thing though if the date is 64 bit instead of float, what does
> the binary output look like? Are they different ?

Yes, the integer float representation is different than the floating point
representation.

> If so this would seem to complicate things quite a bit.

You probably also need to worry about the floating point representation on
the server being different from that on the client.

Сообщение: Re: Some array semantics issues
Сообщение: Re: Some array semantics issues