Re: functions marked STABLE not allowed to do INSERT

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: functions marked STABLE not allowed to do INSERT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The previous discussion/complaints really revolved around how volatility
effected the planner. There are some scenarios (most revolving around a
surrogate key lookup type scenario) where 99% of function calls do not
generate DML changes and because of that we need the planner to treat these
functions as stable functions rather than volatile functions (and we're aware
of the tradeoffs of the other 1% case, but willing to take the hit).  At the
time the check was instituted inside plpgsql, istr some of us saying that we
needed a 4th volatility that meant "treat my as stable for purposes of the
planner, but treat me as volatile for other purposes" but the proposals never
gathered much steam.

Robert Treat

--
Robert Treat