Re: Assert failure found in 8.1RC1

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Assert failure found in 8.1RC1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 04:35:10PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> > Could something like that be added to regression, or maybe as a seperate
> > test case for the buildfarm?
>
> If you don't have a self-contained, reproducible test case, it's a bit
> pointless to suggest adding the nonexistent test case to the regression
> suite.

Well, for things like race conditions I don't know that you can create
reproducable test cases. My point was that this bug was exposed by
databases with workloads that involved very high transaction rates. I
know in the case of my client this is due to some sub-optimal design
decisions, and I believe the other case was similar. My suggestion is
that having a test that involves a lot of row-by-row type operations
that generate a very high transaction rate would help expose these kinds
of bugs.

Of course if someone can come up with a self-contained reproducable test
case for this race condition that would be great as well. :)