Re: dynamic loading of .so (originally from pgsql-general)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: dynamic loading of .so (originally from pgsql-general)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Uh, why does Veil have to allocate space from the backend shared memory
pool rather than allocating its own shared memory segment?

Marc Munro wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Tom,
> My project, Veil, steals some of this shared memory for itself.  I wan't
> aware of the "slop factor" and was pleased that it just worked.  I guess
> I should have been asking questions of this group.  Sorry.
>
> I would like Veil to be a good citizen and place a legitimate request
> for its shared memory (probably about 16K normally).
>
> Veil is loaded as a shared library, which I would assume means that it
> is not present during database startup, making contributing to the
> sizing calculation and racing the lockmgr a little tricky.
>
> I see a number of possibilities:
>
> - Have a GUC to allocate shmem space for add-ons
> - Have add-ons register themselves and provide hooks for sizing and
> initial space allocation
> - Let add-ons race with the lockmgr for the slop (ie leave as it is)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> I would be happy to work on this and provide whatever patches are
> necessary.
>
> Thanks.
> __
> Marc Munro
>
> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 10:34 -0300, pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
> wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:42:17 -0400
> > From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> > To: Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org>
> > Cc: cristian@clickdiario.com, tjo@acm.org,
> >         "pgsql-general@postgresql.org" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
> > Subject: Re: dynamic loading of .so
> >
> > Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> writes:
> >
> > > Put them in shared memory.  This probably isn't trival, as all the
> > > shared memory is allocated up front and used for existing purposes
> > (at
> > > least, as I understand it).
> >
> > There's a "slop factor" of 100KB or so in the shared memory size
> > calculation, which means that an add-on library that requests space
> > soon
> > enough could probably get away with allocating up to a few KB without
> > causing any problems.  (The slop is not totally useless, since for
> > instance the lock manager might eat it up if more locks get requested
> > than expected.)
> >
> > In the long run it might be interesting to add hooks that allow
> > preloaded libraries to contribute to the shmem sizing calculation and
> > then to snarf up the space they've requested before it can get eaten
> > by
> > the lockmgr.
> >
> >                         regards, tom lane

-- End of PGP section, PGP failed!

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: Question about Ctrl-C and less
Сообщение: Re: Question about Ctrl-C and less