Re: SHA1 authentication

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: SHA1 authentication
Дата
Re: SHA1 authentication  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 10:39:11AM +0200, Bohdan Linda wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to use password authentication for pgsql users for remote
> backup purposes. I don't like the fact storing cleartext password on a
> system. From documentation, i have learnt that passwords can be encrypted
> by md5 and crypt methods.
>
> But we know, that md5 is rather weak encryption, so I am asking is there
> any feasible way, how we can use SHA1 instead MD5?

Firstly, SHA-1 is in no better shape than MD5, see [1]. Secondly all
the current attacks are based upon generating collisions which kills it
for the digital signing purpose, but for the purposes of authentication
like we're using that's not relevent. That would require being able to
generate a password that matches a given hash which none of the current
attacks do.

However, looking into the future this would require the following:

1. Adding code to backend and frontend (sha1 code may exist in contrib,
not sure).
2. Changing the protocol to support another hashing algorithm.
3. All sorts of other fiddling but it wouldn't be too hard.

By all means, submit a patch but there's no real hurry right now. We
should probably move straight to something more secure anyway, maybe
SHA-256 or something.

[1] http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/sha1_broken.html

Have a nice day,

Вложения