Re: Select all invalid e-mail addresses

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Select all invalid e-mail addresses
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 12:34:39PM -0700, Steve Atkins wrote:

> While there are valid deliverable email addresses in .arpa, you really
> don't want to be accepting them from end users...

You know, as someone who has been bitten hundreds of times by the
decision of some application designer who thought s/he knew better
than I what my email address could possibly be, I respectfully submit
that you're mistaken.  We call it a bug when other databases accept
dates like '0000-00-00'; but we'd just as surely call it a bug if
PostgreSQL refused to accept valid leap year dates or leap seconds.
It's one thing to say you should not accept known-bad data; it's
quite another to refuse data that is improbable but nevertheless
perfectly good.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin