Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 01:02:15PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >that idiocy is that a string with two blank characters is not equal to a
> >string with a single blank character in Oracle.  'a  ' is not equal to 'a
> >'.  'a ' is not equal to 'a'.  Port that to another database.  Seen the
> >JOIN syntax? *sigh*
>
> Wait, I've lost something here, apparently ... but that is the case with
> PostgreSQL as well:
>
> ams=# select ' a' = '  a';

Well, you didn't pick the same example, because leading blanks are
significant in the char() datatype:

andrewtest=# SELECT 'a '::char='a'::char;
 ?column?
----------
(1 ligne)

But is it the case that Oracle doesn't treat that one any differently
from this:

andrewtest=# SELECT 'a'||NULL::char='a'::char;
 ?column?

(1 ligne)

If that's the case, it's pretty odd.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do sir?
        --attr. John Maynard Keynes