Re: PostgreSQL on Dual Processors, Dual-Core AMD Chips

От Mark Rae
Тема Re: PostgreSQL on Dual Processors, Dual-Core AMD Chips
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 09:55:18AM -0700, William Yu wrote:
> Mark Rae wrote:
> >With the newer kernels you should find that a dual core will
> >be giving you about 80% increase over a single core.
>
> I'm not experiencing this problem right now because I have NUMA disabled
> in the BIOS. :)

That is the recommended 'fix' :-D

> I'm not sure NUMA will help that much for Postgres due
> to Postgres shared memory + OS caching architecture --

The 80% figure is for general data processing code. I actually got
a 72% performance increase using postgres for read only queries.
I would think that any write activity would still be limited by
how fast you can write the WAL to disk.

    -Mark