Re: PostgreSQL on Dual Processors, Dual-Core AMD Chips

От Brent Wood
Тема Re: PostgreSQL on Dual Processors, Dual-Core AMD Chips
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Onyx wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> Does anyone know if PostgreSQL supports running on dual processors, and will
> efficiently utilize the dual processors for performance?  More specifically,
> will PostgreSQL utilize the dual processor performance of using dual-core
> AMD chips?  Any information would be helpful...

Not directly Postgres related, but anandtech had a review of DB2 &
MySQL on dual Xeon & Opteron systems. More focused on the differences
between 32bit & 64 bit OS, & Opteron vs Xeon, but possibly of interest:

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2291
http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2447&p=4

I have not benchmarked it, but my impression of moving from SuSE 9.2 32bit
to SuSE 9.3 64bit, on the same box, both with a custom compiled similar
Postgres install, is that the 9.3 64bit is faster & more responsive
running Postgres. How much the OS version upgrade vs 32-64 change I can't
say.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood