Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Dann Corbit wrote:

> [...]

'k, if I'm reading the right section (you say its bolded, but I'm using
pine which doesn't seem to do a good job of reading HTML):

===========
d) Depending on the collating sequence, two strings may compare as
equal even if they are of different lengths or contain different
sequences of characters. When any of the operations MAX, MIN, and
DISTINCT reference a grouping column, and the UNION, EXCEPT, and
INTERSECT operators refer to character strings, the specific value
selected by these operations from a set of such equal values is
implementation-dependent.

I think the key part of that 'clause' is "two strings *may* compare as
equal" ... sounds implementation dependent to me, depending on how the
implementor interprets it ... or am I reading the wrong section?

----