Re: PostgreSQL on Dual Processors, Dual-Core AMD Chips

От Mark Rae
Тема Re: PostgreSQL on Dual Processors, Dual-Core AMD Chips
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 12:32:36AM -0700, William Yu wrote:
> Expect to need to upgrade to later Linux cores though. Previous kernel
> on this server was 2.6.9+ (FC3 64-bit) -- promptly kernel panic'd upon
> install of the DCs. FC3 installer did the same thing. Went to FC4
> (2.6.11+) and it has run perfect for the past 3 months. We'll probably
> do a yum update to 2.6.13+ to take advantage of the better NUMA code now
> that we've successfully done this update on a less critical server.

You should definitely do the upgrade to 2.6.13, the previous
versions had problems were they would allocate memory to
the wrong bank of memory when using dual core CPUs. So you
would find only about a 20% improvement over a single core.

With the newer kernels you should find that a dual core will
be giving you about 80% increase over a single core.

    -Mark