authentication question

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема authentication question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

suppose that I want to allow one user local access to
template1 under the database account postgres (which is the
superuser for my PostgreSQL). pg_hba.conf contains this:

 local    all        postgres        ident sameuser

I would then set up pg_ident.conf like this:

 postgres-alikes        ncq        postgres

where ncq is the user that is to gain access to template1. I
then modify pg_hba.conf like so:

 local    template1   postgres    ident postgres-alikes
 local    all         postgres    postgres

Now, ncq can connect nicely connect to template1 under the
name postgres. However, I have disable access for the real
(system) account postgres to template1 ! The solution is to
add to pg_ident.conf this line

 postgres-alikes    postgres    postgres

While technically correct (the docs say there is not
fallback mechanism for authentications) this does not feel
intuitive. Is there any particular reason (apart from the
fact that I am not including a patch) that the following
syntax is not supported ?

 local    template1    postgres    ident sameuser,postgres-alikes

that is to allow a *list* of map-names for ident. That would
nicely solve the problem.

Thanks for enlightenment !

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346