Re: On "multi-master"

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: On "multi-master"
Дата
Re: On "multi-master"  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Список pgsql-general
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 10:53:51AM -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> > Now, what about PgPool as a multimaster sync replication solution?  Sure
> > it is statement level....  But is there any reason why you cannot have
> > multiple PgPool instances running against a number of DB servers?
>
> Well, to begin with, you have a serious race condition:
>
> pgpool begins T1 on M1 and M2.
> Someone logs into M2 and does some work in T2.
> M1 completes the work of T1.
> M2 completes the work of T2.
> pgpool issues COMMIT.
> M1 replies with the COMMIT.
> M2 detects a deadlock when T2 tries to COMMIT.
>
> Now what?  There's nothing to prevent this in the system, as near as
> I can see, so it's just not bullet proof enough for the cases where
> people really, really need only five minutes of down time a year.  If
> you _really_ needed that, you'd be willing (and able) to pay the
> costs.  Of course, we can do what we can to make those costs go down.
> :->  But they're not that low yet.

Why pgpool should bother? pgpool supposes every transaction should go
through pgpool. Your example sounds like someone logs into M2 and tries
to shut down it.

> Also, there is still (or was last I checked) a limitation on the
> number of machines pgpool could address, and there are some stability
> and reliability issues we've seen.  It's a great piece of code, don't
> get me wrong; but it's not stable enough yet to bet millions of
> dollars on.

I don't know what you kind of problem you are talking about, but...

If you find problems, please post it to pgpool-general and let's solve
it. That's the open source way.
--
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Tatsuo Ishii