Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

От David Fetter
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 01:00:03PM -0400, Alex Turner wrote:
> <snip>
> > >Instance Manager: Uniquely MySQL.  It allows things like starting
> > >and stopping the database remotely.
> > >
> > I cannot think of a reason ever to need this when we have
> > OpenSSH....  <snip>
>
> I'm just curious, but how does this work for a windows box?

You can get many varieties of SSH for windows.  Probably the easiest
to install is the one that comes with Cygwin.

> > >Federated Storage Engine: Allows MySQL to access tables in other
> > >servers like they are here.  No real direct equivalent in
> > >PostgreSQL, but dblink provides similar functionality.
> > >
> > DBI-Link also has a wider range of functionality and can access
> > tables on MySQL, Oracle, DB2, etc. servers.  <snip>
> >
> If I had just one wish for postgresql it would be to support
> cross-database queries like Oracle.  This is a HUGE pain in the ass,
> and DBI-Link syntax is clunky as hell.

I'm the author of DBI-Link, and I am *always* eager to hear
suggestions for how to improve it.  Concrete suggestions that come
with resources like testers, test environments, test plans, and so
forth take priority :)

> I would switch to Oracle tomorrow if I had the budget just because
> of this feature.  I have data across four and five databases that
> are related, and I need to build cross database views, and do data
> munging _easily_, DBI link is far from easy, and I suspect that it's
> performance is far from stellar,

I'm working on this.  The next performance improvement relies on pg
8.1 features of PL/Perl.  Further improvements...well, you're right.
I'll need a generic way to get predicates at run time from one place
and push them to an opaque place, in my case, a set-returning
function, at run time.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!