Re: Limitations of PostgreSQL

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: Limitations of PostgreSQL
Дата
Re: Limitations of PostgreSQL  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 04:49:59PM -0500, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 16:16, Chris Travers wrote:
> > Compared to MySQL, I can't think of any downsides.  All relevant
> > usability issues have been solved, though there are some functions like
> > INTERVAL that are not supported (see my migration guide at
> > http://www.metatrontech.com/wpapers/)
>
> What, exactly, is the interval function in MySQL?  IS that one that
> creates a sequence of numbers or whatnot?  If so, there is an equivalent
> in 8.0 now.  By the way, interval is a SQL reserved keyword, so it's
> surprising MySQL would choose to name a function after it.

Surprising?  C'mon now, this is MySQL :->

Here's an excerpt from the MySQL documentation:

INTERVAL(N,N1,N2,N3,...)
    Returns 0 if N < N1, 1 if N < N2 and so on or -1 if N is
    NULL.  All arguments are treated as integers.  It is required
    that N1 < N2 < N3 < ... < Nn for this function to work
    correctly.  This is because a binary search is used (very fast).

    mysql> SELECT INTERVAL(23, 1, 15, 17, 30, 44, 200);
            -> 3
    mysql> SELECT INTERVAL(10, 1, 10, 100, 1000);
            -> 2
    mysql> SELECT INTERVAL(22, 23, 30, 44, 200);
            -> 0

--
Michael Fuhr