Re: How TODO prevent PQfnumber() from lowercasing?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: How TODO prevent PQfnumber() from lowercasing?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> On 10/12/05, Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > The question mark means we are not sure how to deal with it.  I think
> > your idea of using quotes to preserve case is a good one.
>
> I think related TODO is added for that gotcha which was written in
> PQfnumber() comments in fe-exec.c: ?Downcasing in the frontend might
> follow different locale rules than downcasing in the backend.?
>
> Returned column names from the backend were lowercased by the server
> in this or that way. Furthermore, PQfnumber() makes not-quoted strings
> downcasing on the client side and then performs the compare by using
> the results returned from the backend. To sum up, at the moment I
> couldn't see any possible solution for this TODO. (I'll be appreciated
> to hear your suggestions on the case.) An un-fixable situation?

Yes, I see now looking at the code.  I have removed the TODO item. We
have had no complaints about its lowercasing, so I think we are OK.

The biggest issue was that some people were complaining that they didn't
expect the lowewcasing to happen at all.

Pennsylvania19073