Re: PostgreSQL missing in SuSE 10?

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: PostgreSQL missing in SuSE 10?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > Gregory Youngblood <pgcluster@netio.org> writes:
> >> I've been using SuSE and PostgreSQL for a fairly long time.
> >> Recently (last 12 months), I've noticed that the 9.x (9.2 and
> >> 9.3 specifically) versions of SuSE do not include PostgreSQL on
> >> the CD install -- only on the DVD. At first (9.2), I thought it
> >> was just a glitch that didn't get fixed in 9.3. Now, it seems to
> >> have been deliberate.

The real problem is that SuSE is not upfront about the difference
between the CD and the DVD versions of their product. Someone (me)
picking up the box would assume that the versions are the same but
packaged on two different media but they (um, me) would be wrong.

Even items listed on the box itself are not included on the CDs
(Thunderbird, for example). Tech support was not helpful ("Sorry,
can't help. Go buy a DVD reader.")

Amusingly, even though the box contains CDs and DVDs, someone viewing
the systems requirements on the web
(http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/sysreqs.html) would
not see that a CD or DVD is required at all. I suggested to the techs
with whom I spoke that the web and box should have a prominent note
that the CDs only contain a starter subset of the product but I
haven't seen any evidence that SuSE/Novell wants to implement that
form of truth-in-advertising.

Better still, they could quit being so frigging cheap and spring for
the couple pennies/CD to make the CD version match the DVD version.

Cheers,
Steve