Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:10:53PM +0200, Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> On 10/6/05, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:

> > DBA writing simple rules that allow it. This means that for simple
> > updatable views, MySQL wins for ease of use, and for complex updatable
> > views, PostgreSQL wins because you can still do them, you just get to do
> > it yourself.
>

> Hmm, maybe it would be worth a while to add (or rather move) a section
> about programming updatable views between "The Rule System" and
> "Procedural Languages". The point could be called:
>
> "Updatable Views Using Triggers"
>
> This would make it much easier for beginners to find the subject, and also
> would make easier to support "yes, we do have updatable statements, only
> its not automated" statement with just a link to right point in
> documentation.
>
> In short: make it more visible. ;)

s/triggers/rules/, but I agree. It would be great to have a prominent,
succinct example of creating an updateable view. I think there's
something close in the docs currently, but you have to dig through a
pretty big chapter to find it.

I don't know that it makes sense to promote it to 34 (putting it in the
TOC), but I do think it should be linked from the CREATE VIEW syntax
page.