Re: transaction toggling

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: transaction toggling
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 12:49:33AM -0700, Matthew Peter wrote:
> Is there a way to disable transactions on certian
> queries? I read a while back that this wasn't
> possible, just wondering if it is in 8.1 or planned in
> the future?
>
> Does it even make a dent in the performance if a query
> is wrapped in a transaction instead of out? Such as a
> view counter, like...
>
> update views = views + 1 where x = 1;?

There was just a thread along these lines in -performance. *If*
performance becomes a concern, you can replace that update with:

insert into queue_table

Then periodically delete from that table using a plpgsql function that
can catch a row count, and use that row count to update your views
table.

But remember the first rule of performance tuning: don't.