Re: selfmade datatype in C and server-crash

От Markus Schulz
Тема Re: selfmade datatype in C and server-crash
Дата
Re: selfmade datatype in C and server-crash  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 05 October 2005 05:01, Tom Lane wrote:
> Markus Schulz <msc@antzsystem.de> writes:
> > This works fine and then i've created the new Type like:
> >
> > CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION etextin(cstring)
> >   RETURNS etext AS
> > '$libdir/new_types.so', 'etextin'
> >   LANGUAGE 'c' VOLATILE;
> >
> > CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION etextout(etext)
> >   RETURNS cstring AS
> > '$libdir/new_types.so', 'etextout'
> >   LANGUAGE 'c' VOLATILE;
>
> You'd likely be well advised to declare these STRICT (hint: is the C
> code checking for null input?) ... and unless the datatype has weird

 no, was'nt checked. copy from original text code.

> semantics, its I/O functions should be IMMUTABLE.  This doesn't
> matter too much for the system's ordinary use of I/O functions, but
> for security you want to make sure the functions are properly marked
> in case they get called directly.

ok, changed to strict (makes really sense), but don't change anything.
now there is no need for NULL checks if i understand right?

> > But if i'm trying to use the type in a table (for instance table
> > with only one etext column) the server crashed after inserting the
> > second (first insert works) tuple or on every select.
>
> Getting a stack trace from the crash would be helpful.  But the fact
> that it only fails on the second try makes me suspicious that it's
> a memory-management issue.  Count thy pallocs.

here's a backtrace.

0x402eacff in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) sharedlibrary new_types
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/postgresql/lib/new_types.so...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/postgresql/lib/new_types.so
(gdb) bt
#0  0x402eacff in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x40ffeb00 in etextin (fcinfo=0x0) at new_types.c:27
#2  0x081ec020 in fmgr_internal_function ()
#3  0x081ed720 in OidFunctionCall3 ()
#4  0x080d0ec2 in stringTypeDatum ()
#5  0x080d1745 in coerce_type ()
#6  0x080d130b in coerce_to_target_type ()
#7  0x080d351e in updateTargetListEntry ()
#8  0x080b1549 in parse_sub_analyze ()
#9  0x080b0fe6 in parse_sub_analyze ()
#10 0x080b0de9 in parse_sub_analyze ()
#11 0x080b0cd9 in parse_analyze ()
#12 0x0817c7c1 in pg_analyze_and_rewrite ()
#13 0x0817cb88 in pg_plan_queries ()
#14 0x0817f1e0 in PostgresMain ()
#15 0x08158d7b in ClosePostmasterPorts ()
#16 0x08158763 in ClosePostmasterPorts ()
#17 0x08156c68 in PostmasterMain ()
#18 0x081562f9 in PostmasterMain ()
#19 0x08126266 in main ()

my test query was:(run twice and crashed on second run)
insert into test ( var1) values ('andf');

the table has only one column of type etext.

in my opinion there must be already something wrong in first "insert"
statement and then perhaps the heap became corrupt?
if i understand strict correctly, there is no chance to got a NULL
Pointer into strlen?!?

here is the etextin code:(cut'n'paste from adt/varlena.c Code)

Datum
etextin(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
    char       *inputText = PG_GETARG_CSTRING(0);
    text       *result;
    int         len=0;

    /* verify encoding */
    len = strlen(inputText);
    pg_verifymbstr(inputText, len, false);

    result = (text *) palloc(len + VARHDRSZ);
    VARATT_SIZEP(result) = len + VARHDRSZ;

    memcpy(VARDATA(result), inputText, len);

    PG_RETURN_TEXT_P(result);
}

compiled and linked like:
gcc -Wall -g -O2 -I. -I/usr/include/postgresql/server   -c -o
new_types.o new_types.c
gcc -shared new_types.o -lm  -o new_types.so

Markus Schulz