Re: PG Killed by OOM Condition

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: PG Killed by OOM Condition
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 01:25:00PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 11:03:06PM +1000, John Hansen wrote:
> >
> >>Might it be worth while protecting the postmaster from an OOM Kill on
> >>Linux by setting /proc/{pid}/oom_adj to -17 ?
> >>(Described vaguely in mm/oom_kill.c)
> >
> > Has it actually happened to you? PostgreSQL is pretty good about its
> > memory usage. Besides, seems to me it should be an system admisitrator
> > descision.

Maybe what we could do is put a line to change the setting in the
contrib/start-script/linux script, and perhaps lobby the packagers of
Linux distributions to do the same.

ISTM it's trivial to test whether the file exists, and useful to
activate the feature if available.

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org
"In fact, the basic problem with Perl 5's subroutines is that they're not