Re: Multiple database queries

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Multiple database queries
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 09:37:49PM -0700, Cosmopo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was using many years ago Sybase that was able then to query
> several tables that could be located in more than one database... I
> know that Postgresql did not at the time have this capability.
>
> Does the new version 8.0.x ofter this feature? We need to create
> several databases based on our customer's specs... but we need our
> own customer, permission, history, etc database. We want to be able
> to query 2 database that would have share customer's ID and other
> info.

I don't know exactly what you mean by tables that can be located in
more than one database, as "database" has several definitions, but
PostgreSQL has "schemas" which are essentially namespaces inside the
same database, and you can query across schemas without extra add-ons.

You can also use Slony-I master-slave replication <http://slony.info>
to replicate, for example, your customer table to several different
databases.  The replicated tables are read-only on the slaves, but
that shouldn't present insurmountable problems.

HTH :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!