Re: Broken pipe

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Broken pipe
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 12:07:18PM +0200, Ben-Nes Yonatan wrote:
> I wrote a php script which is running very long queries (hours) on a
> database.
> I seem to have a problem to run the code when there are single queries
> which take long times (like 5 hours for an update query), from the log
> of the database I received the following code:

My experience with long running backend queries is that IE gives up
after a while but Netscape hangs on a lot longer. I don't know if this
is still the case. It was a while while I worked out why it worked for
me but not my boss...

You need to work who is giving up, the client which causes PHP to give
up, or if PHP itself is giving up. PostgreSQL doesn't care overly much,
as long as you complete the transaction.

My suggestion would be to spawn the update into a seperate process and
send a "Processing, please wait" to the client. When the stuff is done,
set a flag and indicate to the client that processing is complete.

Hope this helps,

Вложения