Re: Found small issue with OUT params

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Found small issue with OUT params
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 10:53:22AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >
> > >So you might notice little performance hit bringing back a million rows,
> > >and most of these type of single OUT params functions only return one
> > >row/value anyway.
> > >There would be zero perceivable difference in performance regardless of
> > >the extra overhead for a single value/row.
> >
> > Sounds like we need a test case... up for it?
>
> If there is a performance difference my vote is that we bite the bullet
> for 8.1 and accept the performance hit rather than settle for
> sub-optimal behavior. Much easier to fix the performance penalty down
> the road than to fix the behavior.

Yes, it seems this is the concensus.  I have added it to the open items
list:
have a single OUT parameter return the parameter name, not function name

                              PostgreSQL 8.1 Open Items                              =========================

Current version at http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgopenitems or
from http://www.postgresql.org/developer/beta.

Bugs
----
fix pg_dump --clean for roles
fix foreign trigger timing issue
fix ALTER SCHEMA RENAME for sequence name binding, or remove
improve spinlock performance
fix semantic issues of granted permissions in roles
fix pgxs for spaces in file names
have a single OUT parameter return the parameter name, not function name

Questions
---------
cosider O_SYNC as default when O_DIRECT exists
/contrib move to pgfoundry
pgindent?
make sure bitmap scan optimizer settings are reasonable

Documentation

Pennsylvania19073