Re: delete item[5] from varchar[] array???

От Matthew Peter
Тема Re: delete item[5] from varchar[] array???
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
--- Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:02:44AM -0700, Matthew
> Peter wrote:
> > --- Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> wrote:
> > > test=> UPDATE foo SET a = a[1:3] || a[5:6];
> >
> > I sure hope there is a better way :) There must be
> an
> > easy, native way to interface with arrays.
>
> Hoping a thing is true doesn't mean it must be true
> :-)
>
> > We all know programming languages have ways to
> delete items in an
> > array natively, it just needs to be exposed.
>
> No, we don't all know that because it isn't
> generally true, or else
> you're using a loose definition of "natively."
> Languages differ
> in what capabilities they offer "natively."
>
> contrib/intarray implements an intarray_del_elem()
> function,
> presumably because the core product doesn't offer
> that capability,
> or at least didn't when the module was written.  If
> you think it's
> there just waiting to be exposed, then dig into the
> source code and
> expose it :-)
>
> --
> Michael Fuhr

Yes. I should've said "most" and some thanks to libs.
I'm busy in other source which is why I hoped those
who were already engulfed in pg's source would have a
solution... Thought this functionality may be
around... somewhere.... which is why I asked.

Took a brief look at intarray_del_elem() function you
mentioned. This may be perfect, and then some. I'll
play around with it. Thanks