Re: pg_autovacuum settings not saved on dump

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: pg_autovacuum settings not saved on dump
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 11:24:23PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > On Thursday 15 September 2005 15:41, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >> Robert Treat reminded me the other day that we don't currently save
> >> pg_autovacuum settings on pg_dump.
>
> > ISTM this is a backwards incompatibility with previous installations that
> > might have used autovacuum from contrib,
>
> How do you figure that?  There was no corresponding capability at all in
> previous versions, and pg_dump certainly didn't save any of the contrib
> autovacuum daemon's arguments for you.

Previously the settings would be contained in whatever script the user
was using to start pg_autovacuum, which means they could dump and
restore all day long and not lose any config. This is no longer the
case.

In any case, we should make sure users know about this behavior. I'd be
rather ticked if I did a dump/restore and my settings were suddenly
gone.