Re: help me pls

От Neil Dugan
Тема Re: help me pls
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Monday 19 September 2005 07:08 am, Sean Davis wrote:
> On 9/19/05 12:02 AM, "suresh ramasamy" <suresh.sql@gmail.com> wrote:
> > thanks for the info Devrim,
> >
> > by the way i'm newbie, i have followed the steps in the documentation for
> > compiling and installation.  I'm using FC4.  ./cofigure completes
> > immediately but the gmake running for nearly the whole day.  so decide to
> > terminate. (my system configuration is p-III, 733 with 256 MB Ram and
> > 80GB hard disk)  give me a solution.
>
> Did you get errors?  Compiling may take a while (but a whole day does seem
> like a long time).  I'm not a  linux user, but I think there is an rpm of
> postgresql available.
>
> > if i try the default installation in the FC4, the following error comes.
> > what should i do?
> >
> > postgres
> > FATAL:  "/var/lib/pgsql/data" is not a valid data directory
> > DETAIL:  File "/var/lib/pgsql/data/PG
> > _VERSION" is missing.
>
> Did you run initdb?

I am currently running Postgresql on an FC4 server.

There are several RPM packages you can install depending on if you just want
to access a databases (on another computer) or also setup the server to
create/access a database on your computer.

To install posgresql version 8.0.3
# yum install postgresql
# yum install postgresql-server

Regards Neil