Re: Performance considerations for very heavy INSERT

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Performance considerations for very heavy INSERT
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 12:16:55PM -0400, Ian Westmacott wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 11:30, Brandon Black wrote:
> > I started looking closer at my options for partitioning (inheritance,
> > union all), and at Bizgres today.  Bizgres partitioning appears to be
> > basically the same kind of inheritance partitioning one can do in
> > mainline PostgreSQL.  Am I correct in thinking that the main
> > difference is that they've coded support for
> > "enable_constraint_exclusion=true" so that the query planner can be
> > more effective at taking advantage of the partitioning when you've
> > specified CHECK constraints on the child tables?  I may go for 8.1
> > instead in that case, as the main win I'm looking for is that with
> > inheritance I'll be doing inserts into smaller tables instead of ones
> > that grow to unmanageable sizes (and that I can drop old child tables
> > instead of delete/vacuum).
>
> Perhaps I missed something in this thread, but don't forget
> you still need vacuum to reclaim XIDs.

Yes, but if you are going to drop the partition before 1 billion
transactions, you can skip vacuuming it completely.

--
Alvaro Herrera -- Valdivia, Chile         Architect, www.EnterpriseDB.com
"Es filósofo el que disfruta con los enigmas" (G. Coli)