Re: random system table corruption ...

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: random system table corruption ...
Дата
Re: random system table corruption ...  (Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres@cybertec.at>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 01:12:34PM +0200, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:
> in the past we have faced a couple of problems with corrupted system
> tables. this seems to be a version independent problem which occurs on
> hackers' from time to time.
> i have checked a broken file and i have seen that the corrupted page has
> actually been zeroed out.

IIRC the XFS filesystem zeroes out pages that it recovers from the
journal but did not have a fsync on them (AFAIK XFS journals only
metadata, so page creation but not the content itself).  I don't think
this would be applicable to your case, because we do fsync modified
files on checkpoint, and rewrite them completely from WAL images after
that.  But I thought I'd mention it.

--
Alvaro Herrera -- Valdivia, Chile         Architect, www.EnterpriseDB.com
"Just treat us the way you want to be treated + some extra allowancefor ignorance."