Re: initdb profiles

От Steve Atkins
Тема Re: initdb profiles
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 09:54:59AM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> I think we should just do what MySQL does and include:
>
> postgresql.conf
> postgresql-large.conf
> postgresql-huge.conf

I do that, in the package of PG I distribute with my application. I
tell the user that they should use it in the installation documentation,
as part of the installation script, in the performance tuning documentation
in the maintenance documentation, in the runbook, on the website and
in the applications online help.

I also mention it to customers by phone, email and on occasion IRC or IM
when they're about to install it or have just installed it. I also mention
it to them any time they call about performance problems.

These are technically literate customers working for large ISPs, with
significant local sysadmin and DBA support, so the concept is not beyond them.

Yet when I ssh in to one of their servers only about 1 in 3 is running
with anything other than the default postgresql.conf.

Just a data point. If it works, most people won't think to fix it.

Cheers, Steve