Re: uuid type for postgres

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: uuid type for postgres
Дата
Re: uuid type for postgres  (Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>)
Re: uuid type for postgres  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Nathan,

> > - linking against libuuid is fine for a contrib/ extension, but no
> > good for a built-in type.  A real uuid would have to do a proper
> > independent implementation of uuid creation within pgsql.
>
> Why?

I think the issue is portability.  Remember that this type needs to work on
Windows as well as all POSIX platforms and AIX.

> I'm not sure what the default build instructions are, but i've got
> the following on my linux box...

> Quite a list.  I wonder what readline is doing there.

Readline is for PSQL command completion and history.  As for the rest, they
are *optional* modules that apparently your RPM builder chose to include; I
build from source and my only dependencies are bison, flex, gcc and perl.

> It would appear that linking against libraries is just fine, I don't
> see that uuid is any different.

Is it portable to all platforms we support?  How does it generate its machine
identifier?

One of the differences between an add-in and core code is support for all
PostgreSQL platforms.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions