Re: How to write jobs in postgresql

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: How to write jobs in postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 04:29:31PM -0500, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > # jnasby@pervasive.com / 2005-08-15 20:25:20 -0500:

> >> Actually, it's currently in the going nowhere stage since no one's
> >> expressed any interest in it. Anyone who's interested is encouraged
> >> to join the mailing list and post what they'd like to see from the
> >> project.
> >
> >     What's the advantage over system-native (cron etc) means?
>
> Search the archives, you'll find numerous discussions on this topic,
> including the one that prompted Jim to create the project.  As of now,
> the project is pre-concept stage, making it impossible to identify its
> advantages.  One possible advantage would be recording job schedules in
> the database where they can be easily managed, but that's small.  A
> bigger advantage can be seen in the approach that Oracle takes, where
> authentication happens when the job is created.  So you don't need to
> provide credentials at run time, which in the case of cron jobs would
> mean putting passwords into shell scripts.

As Guy points out, this is all in a very formative stage right now
(although someone is supposed to be sending me some code), but here's
some other advantages:

This would be platform-independant, which is important now that we
support windows natively.

The interface would be in SQL (probably a set of functions), making it
much easier to control programatically.

Scheduling modes that are either difficult or impossible to do with cron
become available, such as sub-minute scheduling (ie: every 30 seconds),
running something at server start-up/shut-down, running something based
on a notify, etc.

I encourage anyone who's interested in this to join the mailing list at
http://lists.pgfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/pgjob-devel