Re: uuid type for postgres

От David Fetter
Тема Re: uuid type for postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 09:16:13PM +0000, nathan wagner wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 03:57:55PM -0400, jonah.harris@gmail.com wrote:
> > I agree with Josh on the UUID type, it gets abused far too often
>
> Out of curiosity, how does it get abused?  It doesn't seem to me
> that it would be any more prone to abuse than any other type.

A typical abuse, as I have seen it, is for OO coders on the front-end
to turn the entire databse into what amounts to an associative array.
It then becomes somewhere between difficult and impossible to get good
performance, as UUID is the only thing useful as a PK/FK.

> > and (IMHO) isn't widely enough used to belong in the core.
>
> Seems like a self-fulfilling cycle.  There isn't one in core or
> contrib (pguuid is not in contrib, IIRC), and so one doesn't get
> used.  Since no one uses one, it's not in core or contrib.

In this case, not having it easy to get to is, IMHO, an *excellent*
idea.  The whole thing is a giant foot-gun.

Just my $.02.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!