Re: uuid type for postgres

От nathan wagner
Тема Re: uuid type for postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 11:38:57AM -0400, tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote:

> There is pretty much zero chance of being accepted into contrib, much
> less core, if the code isn't pure BSD license.

Hmm.  Here is the copyright and license portion of the readme...
 COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
 Copyright (c) 2004-2005 Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> Copyright (c) 2004-2005 The OSSP Project
<http://www.ossp.org/>
 This file is part of OSSP uuid, a library for the generation of UUIDs which can found at
http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/
 Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted,
providedthat the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.

 THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIEDWARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS
ANDCOPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND THEIR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIALDAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
PROFITS;OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
ORTORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITYOF SUCH DAMAGE.

Reading the postgres license from the faq...

PostgreSQL Data Base Management System

Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2005, PostgreSQL Global Development Group Portions
Copyright (c) 1994-1996 Regents of the University of California

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written agreement is
hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph and
the following two paragraphs appear in all copies.

IN NO EVENT SHALL THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR
DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST
PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE AND ITS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF
THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
DAMAGE.

THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING,
BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE SOFTWARE PROVIDED HEREUNDER IS ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND
THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA HAS NO OBLIGATIONS TO PROVIDE MAINTENANCE,
SUPPORT, UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.

These two licenses appear to be functionally identical.  Both require
notice of the copyright to be included, and both allow use for any purpose.
The wording of the requirement is even nearly identical.

By way of disclaimer, I am not (yet) an attorney.

> (We used to be a bit
> lax about that, but are trying to clean things up.)  Nathan's comment
> about starting with code that was sorta-BSD-with-advertising alarmed me.

Perhaps i was a bit lax in my wording.  I don't read the license
as requiring any advertising at run time, just as a requirement that
the copyright notice be kept with the source code.  That is, an
identical requirement to the one that postgres itself uses.

--
Nathan Wagner