Re: Version number in psql banner

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Version number in psql banner
Дата
Re: typo? was: Version number in psql banner  (Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:18:25PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 14:53 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Darcy Buskermolen <darcy@wavefire.com> writes:
> > > Yes I've seen the same frustration from users,  I think the banner should say
> > > something along the lines of "psql client version foo connected to server bar
> > > version sfoo"
> >
> > That seems overly verbose, particularly in the normal case where the
> > versions are indeed the same.  I could live with seeing a display like
> > that when the versions are different.
>
> Thats the way Oracle sql*plus has worked for years, so its fairly
> acceptable to a great many people without too many questions.
>
> > The other question is what counts as "different" --- do we want to
> > complain like this if the minor versions are different?
>
> Which is much harder to define and could itself have a bug in it, so I
> prefer the verbose message.... its much better to know for certain every
> time.

I was going to mention that we should report server version info any
time we connect to a different server, though I guess \connect only
allows you to connect to a different database on the same server.

As a side note, there's a typo in \?:
 \c[onnect] [DBNAME|- [USER]]

Note the | where there should be a ].
Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461