Re: upgrade path / versioning roles

От Patrick Welche
Тема Re: upgrade path / versioning roles
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 02:31:15PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> > I think we still recommend using *new* pg_dump to dump *old* server when
> > upgrading. If one tries that with today's pg_dump (8.1beta1) against
> > a 8.1devel server of 6 May, i.e., predating roles, one gets:
>
> [ shrug... ]  The current code is expecting that "8.1" means what it
> means today.  For dumping from a between-releases snapshot, you'd better
> use the pg_dump from the same snapshot.

OK - that way around just gets the NOTICE

psql:./huge.db:11: NOTICE:  SYSID can no longer be specified

- fair enough.

BTW there was an earlier thread about plpgsql validation. The aforementioned
8.1devel database has a long history and createlang was run against an
early 7 incarnation, with pg_dumpall -> new database all the way to the
present. I tried the fix mentioned in the earlier message to encourage
validation. Now dumping this "fixed" database, and loadinging it into the
new database gives:

ALTER FUNCTION
psql:./huge.db:4403: ERROR:  function plpgsql_validator(oid) does not exist
CREATE FUNCTION
ALTER FUNCTION
psql:./huge.db:4517: ERROR:  language "plpgsql" does not exist
HINT:  You need to use "createlang" to load the language into the database.

now to unfix the fix...

Cheers,

Patrick

Сообщение: Re: Version number in psql banner
Сообщение: Re: Version number in psql banner