Re: newbie - postgresql or mysql

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: newbie - postgresql or mysql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
[Please copy the mailing list on replies so others can contribute
to and learn from the discussion.  Also, please don't top-post, as
it destroys the flow of the discussion; I've moved your questions
to a more logical place.]

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 03:49:57PM -0600, aly.dharshi@telus.net wrote:

> >PostgreSQL doesn't support this form of INSERT; you'll have to use
> >a separate INSERT per record or use COPY.  Another method, although
> >probably not useful in this case, is to insert records from a subquery;
> >see the INSERT documentation for more information.
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler to do a dblink, and just get the data from MySQL
> and drop it into PostgreSQL ? Or is this too complicated ?

dblink (at least the one distributed as contrib/dblink) is for
making connections to other PostgreSQL databases.  You could,
however, use DBI-Link or something similar to make connections to
MySQL or another data source; in that case you could use the subquery
form of INSERT:

INSERT INTO tablename (columnlist) SELECT columnlist FROM ... ;

However, if you're just doing a one-time import of data from MySQL,
then it might be simplest to dump the data with separate INSERT
statements (mysqldump --extended-insert=FALSE).

--
Michael Fuhr